25 October 2006


rudolf on a plate

we stopped in the 14th-century, cobblestoned hamlet of porvoo for lunch. it was pouring rain, and we kept saying: i bet this is beautiful in summer. shiver. (note to self: stiletto heels + rain do not for good cobbelstone traversing make).

finland is known for its design - think marimekko, iittala, aalto, artek - and even in the little town of porvoo, the one shop i visited, design deli, was chock full of beautiful things made from locally printed fabrics. paul kept trying to put a stylish "hat" on his head 'til the salesgirl politely informed him it was actually a raincoat for a dog.

we had a fireside lunch at Ravintola Wanha Laamanni, a little schoolhouse-red wooden building that dates back to 1657.

_de primero: teeri-lakkakeittoa (black grouse-cloudberry soup).
_de segundo: poronfileeta tattarissurimoita ja hunajajuureksia (reindeer fillet with a chanterelle sauce and "puikula" potatoes)

delish. and lucky for me, the cream sauce was lactose-free! i love finland. i ate reindeer three times. that leaves dasher, dancer, prancer and vixen...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yumm. I see you are taking your love of food and photography and making something delicious! :) Cranberries, roasted sweet potato, israeli couscous, chantrelles and lactaid? hehe. How was the deer? It's tough to keep it juicy.

persimmongirl said...

amazingly tender & juicy, like a reindeer filet mignon! i highly recommend it. but only in finland. and can you believe i found a place in this world where you can have lactose-free cream sauce?!

Anonymous said...

hmm. do they have vegetarian reindeer ? nice to see uk airport choas did not cramp your wanderlusting style for long

Anonymous said...

ps your helsinki looks better then mine, specially if you are sulfur intolerant !

Anonymous said...

Hi Persimmongirl and all bloggers! I was glad to read about your trip to historical old Porvoo, full of sights, culinary delicacies and small boutiques.
I don't mean to post an ad but wish you all welcome to Finland, especially to Porvoo. Yes - we do have wuf-wuf raincoats (100% Finnish design as is all the selection) for small dogs since Fall 2006 and hope to spread the word around! Please visit the shop's site.

Stephen Oh said...

I had the same exact dish (swear to god!) but I was in Stockholm, Sweden at the time (I was on a trip there for one week during the summer of 1994 with my parents since my father was attending an international allergy meeting). The meal was excellent (like filet mignon as you mentioned).

I also visited Helsinki back in 1989 (during my trip to the Soviet Union). It was very cold and gray. I remember we tried to get into a bar as a bunch of young highschoolers but were turned back because of our age. In any case, Helsinki made Stockholm look like 'Rio de Janiero' it was that gray and cold (and white).....