24 February 2006

adventures in eating: spotted dick


i've heard of heinz 57, but heinz spotted dick?!

i spotted this product on the shelves at sainsbury's and am thinking of starting a "british foods" collection. maybe even my own "british foods" shelf in the kitchen like the "british foods" section of key foods back in the 'hood (with its tantalizing selection of digestives).

gourmet magazine actually has a recipe for spotted dick. more entertaining are the comments below:

A Cook from Seattle, Washington on 07/22/01Change the name of this recipe! Then maybe someone would try it and review it. I was almost afraid to read it. It conjures up the most unappetizing image!

A Cook from Sweden on 01/15/05
I am offended by the implication that dick is a naughty word. I myself have been called dick my entire life. I think spotted dick is an immensely appetizing name.

rewjaw from Seattle on 01/18/05
don't worry about what the person from Seattle said in 2001 -- people in Seattle are stupid. I should know.

No comments: