15 September 2008

one night in bangkok




the smells coming from these stalls along silom road were enticing. but during the daytime, i'd greedily order so much food - sometimes much to the mirth of the waitstaff - that i was never hungry by the time i'd head back to my hotel past the roadside tables bustling with thais slurping noodles and gobbling down chicken satay.

while in bangkok, i developed an addiction to som tam - papaya salad - redolent with the fragrance of lime, prawns, garlic and roasted peanuts - and piquant from generous slivers of red chile. i've never had a salad so spicy. and i couldn't stop gobbling it down, despite the fierce burning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to Asia! I have a feeling your life is about to get even more interesting. :)

I think I know that green papaya salad (well at least the nyc version). And I too love its intensity. Sweet, yet very tart, salty, nutty, spicy, crunchy, fresh and fermented all in one bite. Makes the taste buds in the rear/sides of my mouth clench up just thinking about it.

Yumm.